Rewarding and Recognizing Effective Teachers
While each CMO has their own specific career path and compensation plan, an overall objective of The College-Ready Promise is to attract and retain the most talented teachers by recognizing and rewarding success. The TCRP Career Path and Compensation design priorities are designed around the following principles:
- The career path increases retention and satisfaction by providing effective teachers with differentiated opportunities and meaningful financial rewards.
- The career path creates compelling options for the most effective teachers to stay in the classroom.
- The career path creates incentives for excellent teachers to work with the highest-need students and highest-need schools.
- The system is designed to recognize and reward effectiveness and encourage growth, not penalize teachers on a learning curve. Teachers will not be subjected to cuts in pay based on performance.
Additional research and reports to consult:
- A Career Ladder’s Effect on Teacher Career and Work Attitudes by Ann Weaver Hart
- Courses of Action – A Qualitative Investigation Into Urban Teacher Retention and Career Development by Brad Olsen and Lauren Anderson
- ‘I’ve decided to become a teacher’: Influences on career change by Paul W. Richardson and Helen M.G. Watt
- Initial Matches, Transfers, and Quits: Career Decisions and the Disparities in Average Teacher Qualifications Across Schools by Donald Boyd, Hamilton Lankford, Susanna Loeb, and James Wychoff
- Following the Yellow Brick Road: A Teacher’s Journey along the Proverbial Career Path by Susan K. Lynn and Amelia Mays Woods
- Introduction: Teaching: An All-Terrain Career Path by David F. Labaree
- The Winding Path: Understanding the Career Cycle of Teachers by Susan K. Lynn